Sunday, June 12, 2011

Travel Air India! Scented with armpits to preserve authenticity! Now running on Indian Standard Time (if your flight leaves on time, you get a refund!)

I decided to go to New Delhi on Tuesday, June 7th, to visit family after encountering a few more setbacks with the hospital, etc. I took Spice Jet (my aircraft was affectionately named "Corriender" in case you were wondering) and watched as the clouds turned from white to brown as we approached the capitol city. In Delhi, I'm staying with my mama, my mother's brother (MB, for you anthropologists). The Indian naming system for relatives is a bit more precise and great at letting the listener understand who is being referred to exactly. Out captain informed us it was 44 degrees outside (times 9/5, plus 32. I'll give you a minute....... YEAH, with 3000% humidity). As my lungs adjusted I arrived for about a week of family times. I had hoped to take some day trips to Rishikesh, Haridwar, and Dehradun (where I was born), but I have only really been to temples and malls, the two great urban pilgrimages, so I might squeeze Jaipur and Haridwar in at the end of my trip.

Yesterday, I went to Lucknow to visit even more family, this time my dad's side. I had to wake up at 5am to catch the flight and I would be going back to Delhi later that same day (a prime minister's visit my bua (FZ, for the anthropologists) called it), so was in a pretty cranky mood. I have been quite upbeat, positive, and overly friendly since I have gotten to India. I have been easy-going and just happy to be in the motherland and have been quietly enjoying the sights, sounds and smells (well up until I got to Dilli, here the smells are not too kind). However, tired and menstrual, I was not in high spirits. Waiting at the check-in counter, I waited as the Air India employee pretended to be busy on the phone while I stood next in line. A man darted ahead of me in line and tried to talk to the employee, who stood up and walked away. Annoyed, literally for the first time in India, I tapped my foot and said "Excuse me! There is a line." He said "okok go, fine." which just annoyed me more. He retreated by trotting to the counter where the phone-bound Air India employee had moved. I was pretty disgusted at how rude this guy was. Indians are not much line-standers, I know. At the mall check-out counters, it's pretty much all elbows to get what you want. It's annoying, but cultural relativity and all that crap.

Well, I passed this tasteless fellow a few more times in the airport and then didn't see him again. I knew he was on my flight, but didn't pay much attention as I waited at the gate. As we got ready for take off, I glanced up and saw him in the pilot's uniform.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like no one does lines the way the we do. If there's even a wee bit of space between you and the person in front of you, it automatically means that you are out of line and that people are free to barge in in front of you.

    ReplyDelete