Friday, August 5, 2011

a little hospital work

One of the most difficult parts of my field work has been "cold calls." This basically means that I will call up a doctor I've never met or seen before on his or her personal cell phone and ask if they have time for an interview or if I can shadow them for the day. This is daunting in the US because of how notoriously busy doctors are and extremely frustrating and difficult in India because nobody understands my accent on the phone. It's extremely painful and annoying for both parties, but I have been quite patient and the rewards have been well worth it.

It's funny, actually, how interested some of the doctors are to meet this American-accented person with an Indian name. I think some people actually feel flattered that I've asked them to participate. Some students I've interview have even asked me if I'm sure I don't want to talk to someone who's really in charge. I don't think they've heard that graduate students (me) are the worst.
Well, when they realized that I wanted to sit down for an interview, of course everyone was quite gracious and accepts, but they would be anxious about how long it would take. Most would say something like "it'll only take 15 minutes, right?" and I would reassure them--I wasn't lying. If I could make an interview happen in 15, I would, but it was mostly up to how they interacted with me. I can say that most interviews ended up averaging half an hour, but not because of me. Once they realized that they could talk about their opinions on culture and medicine--the two things they participate in the most often--they, for the most part, loved talking about it. It was like I made up for their kids that didn't want to hear about the trouble with Indian culture or why medicine should change for whatever reason and why there's no respect these days or too much respect. Many recruited me as an ally and would comment that this was a very good study I was doing, that I would clear the air about certain things. It's difficult to be put in a position that make people feel like they have an advocate, when really all you have been doing is listening and asking very simple questions. True, I do actually feel friendly with a handful of my 'informants' because we really did end up having a few great conversations. But, for the most part, the conversation was unilateral. I will say that I have a talent for saying very little, but getting strangers to trust me and warm up to me. (like the time I got a Sudanese taxi-driver to open up about having a daughter in the US and foregoing their traditional practice of FGC. I literally asked him a question and a half and we got there. I think it's the nose ring that's reassuring.)

From the beginning with frustrating phone calls, to now having a set of doctors ands students who greet me warmly in the hallway and making sure I've "taken my lunch," it's amazing how much I'm going to miss the hospital, but it's good for things to end and wrap up nicely, I think. Endings make the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment