Sunday, May 22, 2011

Last night in the US

So, I'm sure everyone knows by now how bad I am at using new internet-type spaces (tumblr, skype, etc.). I'll try to learn how to use blogspot efficiently, but I make no promises!


The title of the blog comes from the book/film Eat, Pray, Love. Which I never read or saw, but I'm going to India (which the protagonist does in the book for the "Pray" leg of her journey) so it seemed just cheesy enough for me. I also have been eating like I have been starving all semester (I have not, ask Matthew, the owners of Dangerously Delicious Pies, and every brunch spot in a 15 block radius of my apartment) and the grant I will be traveling on is called the Cotlow Grant. There will likely be zero cupcakes or pies in Bangalore, unfortunately, but plenty of techies, Google execs, and Western ex-pats.

I'm pretty nervous, scared, under-prepared, excited and relieved to be finally embarking on this long, long, LONG planned trip. I'm scared of India because I get sick every time I set foot in that country. Which is why I decided to go after I graduated, I need to make peace with the motherland. The last time I was there over New Year's 2008, I got apocalyptically ill in Varanasi, vomited all over their tiny airport and the flight to Delhi, my immune system was so low at this point, I got the flu in addition to my stomach virus, went back to my dorm (alone) in Richmond and had an allergic reaction to the anti-biotic and was rushed to the ER at VCU where a med student stabbed the crap out of all three of my brachial veins in each arm in order to pay it forward to the veins I'm gonna wreck when I'm doing his job. But I am so ready to go back because it has been far too long.
Varanasi, India
I'm excited because these past four years have been amazingly stressful and difficult. I took on a lot more than I should have and my personal well-being has been pushed to its limits with my lifestyle. Taking refuge in my tiny studio in Logan Circle, I have turned into a workaholic recluse with an addiction to local coffee shops and a penchant for eating poorly and not exercising because "I just don't have the time." I am well on my way to being the creepy regular who throws stink-eye at college students over her laptop while stuffing her face with chicken salad at Soho. wait what.

Anyway, long story short (too late!) I've worked myself into a sub-human, over-stressed, quasi-grad student who stopped utilizing her fantastic wardrobe of shoes and dresses. My only new year's resolution this year was not to get stagnant and I definitely have done that so I'm going to go to the place I find the scariest in the world and I'm gonna kick ass and take names!! Well, pseudonyms because I am doing anthropology and have to follow some guidelines or whatnot... you catch my drift.

Will miss DC terribly and I will be stalking all of you staying in the city this summer to live vicariously though your brunching, concert-going, happy-hourin', bike-riding, pie-eating, and Dupont people-watching.  Tell a yuppie or tourist (or a yuppie-tourist!) to move the hell over to the right on the Metro escalators for me & have a lovely summer everyone :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment